Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Day 0-1, October 3-4, 2014, Symphony Crossing - Home to Lisbon

Day 0-1 – We left Salt Lake City on a flight bound for Boston.  The flight was delayed a bit and also had to reroute around Chicago where there was a fire in a control tower.  We ended up being about 50 minutes late getting in.  Good news though, we had a 3 hour layover, so it was fine. 

We had to leave security in order to walk over to terminal E for international flights and hung out in the Air France lounge until our Air France flight was scheduled to leave.  We thought that we had paid for economy comfort seats, but since it was Air France, they didn’t have them.  The seats were so close together that Bob’s knees touched the seat in front just when seated.  We immediately tried to sleep and got in a few hours before we landed in Paris (it was a 6 hour flight).  We were delayed a bit again on that flight, but again had a long layover planned for the Air France flight to Lisbon.  Again, we had to leave security and go back through to switch terminals.  Then we hung out in the Air France lounge until our plane was scheduled to leave at around 1pm.  Eventually we arrived in Lisbon at around 3pm.   We were 7 hours different in time zones, so it took us about 26 hours of flying and waiting time to go from our door in Park City to the hotel in Lisbon.

Fortunately our bags made it off the plane (we were one of the last ones to get them, probably because we had such a long layover in Paris).   Julie had arranged for us to be picked up by Lisbon Taxis, they met us at the exit and whisked us to the hotel – the DoubleTree by Hilton at Fontana Park.  It was an ultra contemporary hotel with lots of blacks and whites.  As you can see in the picture, the hallway getting off the elevator was long and very black, with the numbers on the floor.  Julie likened it to a prison corridor.  The hotel was really quite nice and worked really well.

After we got settled we walked down the street toward the old town.  The city reminded us a lot of Barcelona and the Avenida Liberadore was a lot like Los Ramblas.  We stopped at a stand and had hot dogs and draft beer.  We then returned to the hotel going to bed early at 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment